If you’ve noticed your teeth feeling funny when exposed to cold air or a cold beverage, chances are you have tooth sensitivity. In this blog post, we’ll check out some of the symptoms of tooth sensitivity along with ways you can remedy it.
What Is Tooth Sensitivity?
Sensitivity is an uncomfortable sensation that occurs when your teeth are exposed to pressure or hot or cold temperatures. The causes of tooth sensitivity include:
- Weak enamel: Whether through lack of proper oral hygiene or trauma, weakened enamel exposes the more sensitive layers of your teeth to vulnerability.
- Diet: Sugary and acidic foods can accelerate the erosion of enamel. Candy, pastries, citrus fruits, coffee, black tea, and alcohol are all foods and beverages that can damage your teeth.
- Trauma: Chipped, cracked, and broken teeth can certainly make your teeth more sensitive.
- Brushing style: If you harshly drag your toothbrush back and forth across your teeth, you can damage the surface of your teeth, causing sensitivity.
- Decay: One of the telltale signs of cavities and decay is increased tooth sensitivity.
Alleviating Tooth Sensitivity
When addressing your tooth sensitivity, it is first important to determine the exact cause of your sensitivity if you can. For example, if you have a cavity or tooth decay, the best way to help your sensitivity may be a root canal or a sealant.
You can also take measures to prevent tooth sensitivity altogether. Brushing and flossing your teeth properly twice a day, maintaining a well-balanced diet full of fiber and protein to strengthen your teeth, and visiting your dentist twice a year can help prevent or swiftly address tooth sensitivity.
Comprehensive Dentistry in Overland Park, Kansas
You don’t have to put up with tooth sensitivity. Overland Park Family Dental offers a variety of comprehensive dental treatments in a comfortable environment and flexible financing to help suit your needs and budget.
If you are interested in improving your oral and overall health, contact us or schedule an appointment with us online!